Readers Suggestions

I'm enjoying visiting as many of the '1000 Places to See Before You Die' as I can, but I'm aware there must be loads of other fantastic places to visit, that aren't in the book. Please make comments at the end of each posting with your recommendations!

Monday 14 March 2011

Copacabana Palace Hotel, Rio: Number 185 from the 1000 place to see before you die

This, I fear, is going to be an easy review. I might have been slightly jaded as they had decided to close Copacabana Palace Hotel for the weekend for outside guests due to Carneval so I was turned away when first I arrived in the afternoon (nice sunny shot below)……so I had to make do with a photo outside the hotel only.




However, far be for me to admit defeat, I then called Quintessentially to see if they could work some swift magic………job done I had my dinner (that’s the next blog…) and took my meat laden stomach over to the hotel……but the concierge was all blank faces so off I went again cajoling my way in….all the way to the top general manager (you’d really think they had better things to do than be bothered with one discretionary entrance into their bar by a tourist for a martini).

Twenty mins later, after quite a few “why bother” moments in my head, I finally gained entrance into the inner sanctum, feeling like I had done ten rounds with Mike Tyson, and definitely needing a stiff martini!!!

As it was only about 10pm and therefore way too early to go to their in-house disco- I contented myself with sitting in the outdoor bar at the pool. It was a lovely pool- not sure about the double rows of loungers lined up like the Riviera…but given that it was cloistered in the centre of the building I guess space is a premium.
Their website says
“Superbly positioned overlooking the sea, this glamorous Orient-Express landmark in Rio has been welcoming the rich and famous since its Art Deco doors swung open in 1923. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers danced here and the Rolling Stones tuned up in its grand salon before their concert on the beach.
 
The magnificent pool, with its adjacent super-cool Bar do Copa, are where Brazil’s style setters gather to soak up the sun. The hotel’s restaurants are also destinations in themselves, whether for great local dishes or fine Italian dining in Hotel Cipriani Restaurant. “

I didn’t get to see inside a room (felt that Id pushed my luck as it was) so could only judge it on the restaurant, bar, pool and lobby………………………………………….I have to say- the hotel is perhaps iconic (or is it just that the name is known because of the beach its on)….and on that subject of THAT beach….how is it that Barry Manilo’s lyrics go
“At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana (Copacabana)
The hottest spot north of Havana (here)
At the Copa (CO!), Copacabana
Music and passion were always the fashion
At the Copa....they fell in love”
Since when is Rio north of Havana? Interesting. Perhaps his hot Copa spot is not here in Rio.
Anyhow- back to the Copacabana Palace Hotel- it is just another 5 star hotel and I don’t really think, given how many there are of those in the world, that it should be included unless it provides something really superlative (Burj Al Arab  would be one that fits in that vein for instance).
So………………..I don’t think it should be in the 1000 places to see before you die

No comments:

Post a Comment