Readers Suggestions

I'm enjoying visiting as many of the '1000 Places to See Before You Die' as I can, but I'm aware there must be loads of other fantastic places to visit, that aren't in the book. Please make comments at the end of each posting with your recommendations!

Wednesday 21 November 2012

230: Finnish Lappland from the 1000 places to see before you die book


Ho Ho Ho. For those that never realised, Lappland in Finland is home to Santa Claus....but like Christmas Ill leave him a little bit longer waiting for his curtain call on this blog.

First of all was a flight to Rovaniemi which is the start of the arctic circle (in fact you cross it in Santa's village). While sadly it was way too early in the season for all those winter things like reindeer sled rides, snowmobiles and floating in the Arctic ocean in survival suits, nonetheless I had a wee glimpse of cold...like zero degrees most days and light snow, which actually was enough to give it that festive look, as one would expect from the permanent home of Santa.

Next up was a trip to a reindeer farm (sorry something wrong with the camera taking photos so no shots of these beasts) but a few facts....both sexes lose their horns every year and grow them back. Picking up a pair of male antlers I was surprised at the weight- a good 5 kilos Id guess...each! 4000 die on the roads each year and about 4000 are killed by predators. Reindeers still travel in herds in the forest but they all belong to someone and are tagged.
After the reindeer farm I kitted up in cold gear and headed out to the clearing to eat Finnish sausages and watch the Northern lights.






The first entrance to cross into the arctic circle
The front of Santa's home




The touristy angle wasn't as overly pushed as I was expecting. A rather cool entrance to his grotto full of crackling ice, dripping water, mystical birds flying overleaf, big timber structures, bouncing 6 foot elves in hats, a quick sell afterwards to purchase anything from a video of your meeting with santa, to 5 photos in cards to a big printout and then you were off to visit the other parts of the complex.


It is all rather cute- Christmas carols playing, snow gently falling, the large pine trees all decked out with twinkling lights, cinnamon scents wafting through the building from the elves gingerbread factory...and thankfully rather free of children!! It seems adults have just as much of love for Santa Claus, even if I did fess up to not believing in him as I made my way to bounce on his knee.

The post office was perhaps the cutest- they certainly seemed to take the most money off me- as I bought decorations, organised letters to my nieces from Santa Claus, sent postcards to get the rather cool "Santa Claus's Home, Arctic Circle" post stamp, got my passport stamped saying I had been there, paid extra for nicer stamps mentioning they were from his home. You name it....they got you!! 49 euros later I left the post office with a considerably lighter wallet- but a far happier heart.

Even better about this place- you can visit Santa 365 days of the year.....they receive in peak time something like 10,000 letters a day- so those elves are busy writing all the replies. hopefully they won't forget the 7 euros I paid to have Santa write a letter to my nieces.

After that a quick coffee and as I couldn't borrow Rudolph to get back to the bus stop.... I took a toboggan instead...


A worthwhile inclusion in the book 1000 places to see before you die.  Everyone loves Santa Claus so of course...yes!



No comments:

Post a Comment