Readers Suggestions

I'm enjoying visiting as many of the '1000 Places to See Before You Die' as I can, but I'm aware there must be loads of other fantastic places to visit, that aren't in the book. Please make comments at the end of each posting with your recommendations!

Saturday 6 August 2011

207: The Shelbourne Hotel, Dublin

Built in 1824, the Shelbourne is perhaps the most recognised hotel in Dublin. At least- that is what every Irishman that I met said to me when i decided to do some fact finding as to why my taxi driver drove me 15 minutes out of the city centre before stopping..... lost.... asking another taxi man for help, then promptly turning back, driving for 15 minutes and dropping me back at the other end of the street that he picked me up on.

London Black Cab service this certainly wasnt!! Very odd said everyone else- given that every famous person and famous meeting ever held in Dublin apparently has been through the doors of this hotel.

As you can see from the photo- its all top hats, 5 star luxury, phenomenal afternoon teas and plush carpets. Exactly what you'd expect from a Renaissance hotel.

  We took a wee lap of the bar where we settled in between the suits and the advertising crowd and watched the passing parade on the street outside

and then just in case you wondered if id turned into a glamorous long haired blonde......a photo was taken of me blending into the suits.... 


Should it be in the book??.....sadly like a lot of hotels in the 1000 places to see before you die book, I am getting a strong suspicion that they tried to find say 4 places in each capital city that were worthwhile to go to....rather than only putting in those places that truly were worthy inclusions in the book. 
This one Im afraid gets a thumbs down. I think its not a 1000 places to see before you die entrant.

No comments:

Post a Comment