Readers Suggestions

I'm enjoying visiting as many of the '1000 Places to See Before You Die' as I can, but I'm aware there must be loads of other fantastic places to visit, that aren't in the book. Please make comments at the end of each posting with your recommendations!

Thursday 29 November 2012

231: The World of Alvar Aalto, Helsinki, Finland



 The Finn Alvar Aalto who died in 1976 is rated as one of the great architects of the 20th century. Says the 1000 places to see before you die book he did “organic architecture- buildings that suited their environment” and designed the building and at times all its interior furnishings and fittings.

One of Helsinki’s most famous buildings by him is the Finlandia Hall where he designed the interior and the exterior. Apparently it looks striking against a snowy background…on a dark bleak winters day I obviously missed it.

While I like architecture I have to admit preferring a more modern style and hence didn’t quite “get” this. Nonetheless here it is…




Interior of the Savoy
I then went to the Savoy restaurant in the centre of town and on the edge of the fab design district- the latter also rated in the 1000 places to see before you die book.  The waitress told me that nothing had been changed at all since he designed the interior in 1937. That shows! Assuming it is related to the London Savoy group then this was done in a fitting style to suit their tastes. For myself- it was a bit 1970’s…but then I guess if your most famous national architect had designed it all you probably wouldn’t be changing it either!

The view out from the Savoy

Worthwhile inclusion in the 1000 places to see before you die book. Couldn't see it Im afraid so no





No comments:

Post a Comment